In 2020, AHPS partnered with Allegheny Lodge #339 of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks (BPOE) to prepare an application for a Keystone Historic Preservation Planning Grant from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. The grant, which was awarded in 2021, allowed the organizations to engage a team of professional architects, structural engineers, mechanical engineers, proforma analysists, and historic preservation professionals to prepare a building study to address the structural and mechanical needs of the lodge building. Located at the corner of Cedar Avenue and Pressley Street, the building began as a private residence constructed in 1866, was significantly enlarged by architect William Edward Snaman in 1902-1903, and, after two fires in 1924, was redesigned by noted architect Edward B. Lee in 1925-1926. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing element of the Deutschtown Historic District.
The report, which will be completed later this year, will provide a structural assessment of the building; review and document code implications for proposed rehabilitation alternatives; identify possible elevator locations; examine the building’s mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire systems; identify any significant life-safety concerns; estimate the remaining life of major equipment, recommend solutions for the continued sustainable use of the building, and ensure that any future plans will sensitively integrate with the historic architecture by following federal preservation standards. The report will provide clear and implementable paths for future strategic planning, fundraising and renovation.
Architect Edward B. Lee’s 1925 rendering of the proposed renovation of the Allegheny Elks Lodge at the corner of Cedar Avenue and Pressley Street.